Holy busy these days. Life has taken a few crazy turns lately which is resulting in less and less time to do things like…oh I don’t know…Cook. So in slight desperation the other night I reached out to one of my FAVORITE ladies on this planet (the famous Genya of Vue Photography) for a little quick and healthy foodie inspiration. This girl knows how to whip up some fast and super duper healthy treats and she absolutely delivered!! I had dinner on the table in under 20 minutes and even had a few extras to spare for lunch the next day…ahh thank you. The beauty about this recipe is that it’s just a jumping off point, once you have the basic batch down pat, the varieties and options are endless!! This is one of those staples that you should always keep in your back pocket for a rainy day (or a sunny day…or a cloudy day…or a hot day…) They are also packed with fiber and protein and light on fat and calories. Win Win!
Black Bean Cakes – Basic Batch
- 1 can black beans; rinsed & slightly smashed
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp Gluten Free soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup GF panko bread crumbs OR spoonful of GF flour
- 1 large egg; slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Place beans in a large bowl & lightly mash.
- Add in all remanining ingredients
- Divide mixture into 4 sections, shape like “patties” and place on a greased baking sheet
- Cook at 425° for approx 8 -10 minutes; flipping once.
Add a spicy flair to this basic “cake” by adding a dash of cayenne or even some chopped up jalapeño slices to the mixture and then top with this AmAzInG…
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- approx 1 tbsp sriracha hot sauce (use as much or as little as you can handle)
- squeeze of fresh lime juice
- dash of salt
- Mix all ingredients together
Turn this into a yummy backyard burger by slapping it on a GF hamburger bun and top it with your favorite burger toppings…like avocado slices, lettuces, pickles and even a little of the sriracha aioli.
Looking for a way to spice up “taco” night? Whip up a batch of these babies with the addition of organic corn, diced green chilies and a little chili powder! Top it off with some homemade guacamole, fresh cilantro and a little salsa…OLE’!
Give these a whirl…I promise they will not disappoint! And be sure to check out my girl Genya’s amazing work!